Koi pond, waterfall, covered patio, fire pit, seat wall
Our clients in Merrick, NY survived Superstorm Sandy, however their backyard did not. We were asked to replant a backyard that can tolerate the salt air and give them a elegant living space. The added roof line over their existing wood deck allows them year-round usage. The lower patio and fire pit is ideal for the grand kids to sit and enjoy the summer months. And the koi pond allows the yard a focal point, adding both sound and movement to the yard, giving a nice backdrop for taking a afternoon nap in the hammock by the pond.
Objectives & Challenges
- Provide salt-tolerant plant material for privacy and color.
- Create protection from the sun and add architectural character to the home.
- Low-maintenance yard that is both child- and dog-friendly.
- Provide a soft, freeform patio near the ridged home.
- Low maintenance plant material and patio.
- Ease the height difference between the deck and the lower patio.
- Koi Pond and waterfall as a focal point and character.
- Roof over patio to provide shelter and longer season for deck usage.
- Fire pit and seat wall for additional seating and architectural character.